Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thanksgiving

Its been a long time but I got to see my girlfriend from the military. We met in basic and were stationed at AIT (roomates) and again at our permanent duty stations of Zweibrueken and Miesau. Im writing about the event of staying at her home for a week (something I just dont do). I was nervous and completely out of sorts about going.  Hewever I had a lovely time.  She has never met my daughter Cerra and enjoyed how much Cerra reminded her of my younger self.  I took my dog, Chico, he too was welcomed and loved on for the whole week. The time went by so quickly. There were no paprika incidents (the subject dedicated to a chapter in a book) and I did not "hide" in the bathroom not once. My friend has been so forgiving of me over the years and loved me inspite of myself.  I know its not easy and I appreciate her for allowing me to bring ALL of me to her home and stay. Now, I say all that to say I had many revelations about myself, and what I really want in my life. I realized that its easy to just be around those who love you unconditionally and want the best for you however the grit and the fight of life is not like that. So I understand that in order to win over the grit and fight of life you need people close by to support you while you are scrapping while you go through and you need to be honest enough with them so that they can be there for you during those times.
I am sitting here today thinking about my little neices voice saying she is thankful for Cerra and Chico etc. I am thinking about seeing my daughter run with Chico in the backyard or write in the sand at the lake. I thought about the laughter all of us shared in that week, enough to heal the nations. I started thinking about how much favor, love and grace I have had in my life. I mean I have needed it probably more than others.  I am thankful for those people in my life who love and dislike me. I wouldnt know what true love was if there weren't any haters. I am thankful for those who chose to be indifferent with me because those who gave me a hug, or told me it would be alright had my full attention. I am thankful for the military service that showed me life and people could be committed to my well being or committed to their well being at my expense. I learned, in my life both the pros and cons of life so that I can look at life's sistuations with more perspective.  Oral Roberts said one time speaking to a congregation I was in fellowship with, that if you end your time and have a close friend you have more than most but if you come to a point and find you have more close friends than that you are truely wealthy. By gosh! Warren Buffet has nothing on me. I am fortunate to have some very compassionate, talented and intelligent people in my circle of friends.  I am not perfect Im just me. They accept me for who I am and for that I am thankful.
I won't wait again to tell others what I am thankful for about them or the relationship I have with them. I found out there is a special blessing for "appreciating" others.  Maybe if we told more people what we appreciated about them every single day there could be less of what we don't appreciate in the world. I don't pretend to have all the answers but today I do have all the appreciation in the world. I appreciate you reading this and believe that it will spark a deeper intrest. Thank you

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are writing again! I have missed your posts.

You are right .... it's wonderful to have a close friend to share your life and your secrets with. Those old friends who knew you "back then" are irreplaceable.

Keep writing You're brilliant at it. It comes from the heart which is the very best place in us all.

Bri said...

Thank you, I have missed writing too! I hope to have more in the days to come. Its a tough commitment to write in a transparent way publicly. Thank you for continuing to be a mentor and supporter at the same time.